Thursday, April 15, 2010

Paris

26 February-1 March 2010

When my mother and I were still living in Tacoma, when the old library was still a library, I used to check out cassette tapes and sing-along books in French. At six, my dream was to be a prima ballerina; at twelve, to attend la Sorbonne--French seemed not only practical, but essential. Later, my dreams changed, abandoned France in favor of Scotland, but a spangled mist still hovered over all things Gallic in my mind's eye. I took three years of French in high school, and a fourth at university, where my tutor tried unsuccessfully to convince me to major in the language. It has been over two years since that last French class, and it's amazing how much time and disuse can erase.

Finding myself in Scotland, just a hop, skip, and a jump from the continent, the lure of France was undeniable, especially considering that a very dear friend, Animesh, lives just outside of Paris. I wanted desperately to go. But I was embarrassed. I'd lost so much French in the interim, I was nervous to test myself, to see how much of my French remained. In the end, the spangles won out. I visited Animesh and Paris for three and a half days.

I knew it was a good sign when I saw B1 and B2 from my childhood favorite, Bananas in Pyjamas, in the Prestwick Airport. Sadly, I couldn't fit in the car with them for a picture.

I met Animesh at a bus depot in central Paris. Regaled as I was with his tales of romance (a perfect way to begin my sojourn in Paris, the City of Love), I didn't notice until the very last the familiar shape looming in the distance.

At l'Arc de Triomphe, the beginning of les Champs Elysées.

Catering to my sweet-teeth, Animesh intruduced me to a Parisian treasure, Ladurée, the grandest of dessert shops I have ever seen. I am pictured above with a box of macarons.

In upside-down fashion, dinner followed.

We ate in le Quartier Latin, in the basement of a kebab shop.

After dinner, Animesh took me on a brief walking tour of l'Île de la Cité. As we walked along la Seine, Animesh pointed out this spot as a point of interest. Have you seen Ratatouille? This is the spot where Linguini tries to toss Remy in the water.

Notre Dame is much smaller and much more beautiful in person.

Point Zero, the center of Paris.

La Seine

La Seine encore.

Recovering from mononucleosis, having traveled for eleven hours, and after a long night of walking through the city, I was rather tired when we reached Animesh's flat. As my dear friend Emma has dubbed it, my alternate personality, Loopy, came out for a romp. Thus, this photograph (and some others I'm not showing).

Day two commenced with a visit to Montmartre and la Basilique du Sacré-Cœur. The dome inside is gorgeous, as is the view from the steps.

Walking down from le Sacré-Cœur, we found ourselves in the sex district. Et voilà! Le Moulin Rouge.

We passed this rather incredible door on our way to le Marais, the Jewish and Gay district of Paris (I'm not quite sure how these two cultural groups found themselves here together, but it made for fascinating sightseeing.)

The first of many examples of Japan in Paris.

On day three, I got to meet some of Animesh's wonderful friends. They took me around the city to some of their favorite spots. The above photograph is of la Fontaine Saint Michel, apparently the premier meeting spot in Paris.


The lovely Leesa told me to look up. She was right.

For those who have read the Outlander series, you will understand the significance. For those who have not, suffice it to say that la Dame Blanche, or the White Lady, is a ghost woman who can burn out the hearts of untruthful men. 'ladameblanche' is one of my usernames.


La Dame Blanche, le Mic Mac... Next I'll find a shop called le Petit Ours.

Until I was ten years old, my mother wore only Boucheron perfume. Finding this cafe made me smile.

A mural.

I photographed this poster for the pink elephant and it's Disney reference. It wasn't until later that I discovered Delirium Tremens is a beer brand, voted best beer in the world in 1998 (making me wish I had had some). Moreover, the phrase 'delirium tremens,' Latin for 'trembling madness,' indicates the violent sickness common to withdrawal--the DTs. The elephant is still cute.

A Japanese market.


Karaoke in an Italian restaurant.

My last day, I explored the city on my own. It was lovely to wander about by myself, in communion with the place. But it was also difficult. As Animesh very wisely observed, it's hard to visit Paris, the City of Love, if you either don't have a love, or are far from them.



La Tour Eiffel. Everywhere, gypsies, con-artists, and pickpockets sniffed out the tourists. I was pleased to find that a) my French was good enough to escape detection, and b) I had enough common sense to detect them.


Medusa


Theseus and the Minotaur in le Jardin des Tuileries.

Diana in le Jardin des Tuileries.

L'Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel.

As much as I want to visit le Louvre, I also want to take my time, lose myself to a painting and familiarize myself with the building, a work of art in itself. I had an afternoon. Instead of racing through one floor of one wing, I decided to enjoy the exterior. I'll be back. Incidentally, I'll have to be back for quite a while: If you were to spend 10 seconds in front of each item, eight hours a day, five days a week, it would take 4 whole months to get through le Louvre!

La Pyramide.



Inside l'Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel.



Le Métropolitan de Paris.

Another door.

Paris was beautiful. It was wonderful to see an old friend, to take my time, to scratch the surface of such an incredible city. I know one day I'll be back. As for my French, I survived.

No comments: