
This weekend I have longed for love. My imagination dominates every action, creating of even the simplest task a vivid daydream, complete with verbal (albeit one-sided) dialogue. I formulate elaborate scenarios, professions of secret passion, deliciously agonizing first dates, the moment between eye contact and physical contact. I see it all. I have laid in bed or on the couch imagining, fantasizing, wishing, hoping, praying like a fifteen year old girl with no experience to fuel her imaginings.
But I am not fifteen and I have experience. I crave physical love too. A shoulder to press my forehead to, the light pressure of fingertips on my bare back, soft lips, and strong arms seem etched onto the insides of my eyelids; every time I blink, my heart rate rises. I ache. I desire. I lust, I covet, I need.
Two seemingly insurmountable barriers tower over me: One, my passion. Two, my fear.
I am incapable of loving physically without loving emotionally. Where my body goes, my heart must be. When I was younger, my mother told me that to love someone, physically or emotionally, means you leave a part of your soul with them and take a part of their soul with you. I know that is not true for everyone, but it is resoundingly true for me. I have only loved once, have only kissed, touched, tasted once. How do I begin again?
However many times I visualize, even witness, the lingering eyes, the catching breath, I can never steel myself to act upon it. I have never been a gambler, never made the first move. I am far too afraid of rejection to act so confidently. I am thus resigned to my far too vivid imagination.
But I write this diary in homage to wonder, no? Perhaps it is time to awe myself. Perhaps it is time to risk it all.



1 comment:
"Where my body goes, my heart must be."
How do you begin again? Always. That's how. You close your eyes and jump back into life, and suddenly you'll find yourself swimming in a beautifully, refracted, sunlit lake of love, and you'll wonder when those questions and fears were ever spoken, because now they feel so far away...
Post a Comment